Camp Hicklebee's Summer of Reading 2018
Introducing Camp Hicklebee’s and its six weeks of fun-packed incentives to read!
Summer is great, and only made better by lots of reading. Camp Hicklebee’s offers “campfire” events and cool gear that thwart summer learning loss. Kids read a book a week, choosing titles in suggested themes, and earn specially made pin-back badges when they write and draw about their reading.
Camp Hicklebee’s is open to kids ages 6 and up. Registration is $30 per child which includes your Camp Kit.
Your Camp Kit will include:
- a drawstring back pack (perfect for holding your books and displaying your badges!)
- reading recommendations in six great themes (a new one each week from June 29 through August 10)
- a “make your own name badge” sheet (your art turned into a one-of-a-kind badge)
- blank shelf-talkers for earning badges
- Hicklebee's Summer Reading Card, a frequent-shopper record that, in essence, lets you buy five books and get a sixth one free
- a list of the Campfire events happening each week so you won’t miss out on any of the fun!
Tell me more about badges. After a camper reads a book, she or he can write and draw about the book on a shelf-talker—a brief card that can be posted in the store to recommend the book to other customers. Turning in a shelf-talker earns a Camp Hicklebee’s badge that can be worn with pride or pinned to a backpack. Shelf-talkers show everyone how much fun and learning are taking place in Willow Glen this summer.
Tell me more about challenges. Every Monday morning, a new camp challenge will be issued. Campers can come in any time during the week, until the following Sunday, to complete the challenge. We recommend coming as early as you can. While the challenges are designed to be completed in-store, many campers like to have extra time to work on them. Sometimes, the challenges will also tie into weekly campfires.
Tell me more about campfires. Every Friday evening during camp, Hicklebee’s will host a free gathering open to campers—and everyone else—full of storytelling, jokes, songs, and activities. Hicklebee staff will lead these evenings that will occasionally feature special guests.
Camp registration is now OPEN!